Regular and punctual attendance is mandatory for all students. Student success and achievement is reliant upon regular school attendance. Excused or unexcused, if a student is absent from school they are missing classroom instruction, therefore all students are expected to attend all classes, each day, on time. Van Nuys High School's Attendance Goal: 77% of students will attend 96% of the time (1 absence every 25 days or fewer than 7 absences for the school year.
VERIFIED LEGAL ABSENCE*
- Illness absence with a doctor’s note or authorization by school nurse or other authorized school official.
- Exclusion from school supported by written documentation by nurse or other designated school official.
- Medical appointments; verified by a written note from a doctor (Accompanying a family member to the doctor is not considered a verified/excused absence).
- Quarantine of the home; verified by the health department.
- Funeral due to the death of a member of the student’s immediate family (1 day, within the state; 3 days, outside the state).
- Student’s appearance in court,
- Absences for justifiable personal reasons, with prior written request and written approval from the principal, such as attendance at a funeral service, observance of a holiday or ceremony of his or her religion, attendance at a religious retreat, or attendance at an employment conference. Written proof of attendance regarding justifiable personal reasons is needed for verification.
*Absences for reasons other than those listed above, will be considered unexcused
Attendance procedures at Van Nuys High School:
- When returning from an absence, students are expected to provide an excuse to clear the absence. Students must bring a note signed by the parent indicating the following:
- NAME OF STUDENT
- DATE OF BIRTH
- DATE OF ABSENCE
- AND REASON FOR THE ABSENCE.
White attendance cards are also available in the Attendance Office for you to use.
- All absences not cleared within 10 school days will be marked truant. If the student brings a note at a later date (before the close of the current school year), the absence code will be changed accordingly.
- Automated phone calls are sent 2 times daily to notify parents of absences and tardies. Parents are expected to contact the attendance office when they are notified that their child is absent without their permission (parents are required by California Education Code, section 49408 to update their address and telephone number whenever there is a change). IF YOU MOVE AND CHANGE YOUR ADDRESS YOU MUST BRING IN A UTILITY BILL AND COMPLETE A CHANGE OF ADDRESS FORM WITHIN 10 DAYS
- Acceptance of absence notes from parents is a courtesy. More than 7 absences within a school year is considered to be excessive. A student with excessive absences may be required provide a doctor’s note or have approval from the School Nurse or designated school official to excuse subsequent absences.
- Students with 7 or more absences (for the entire school year) will not be allowed to participate in extracurricular activities. Senior students with 7 or more absences during their senior year may not be allowed to attend Prom and/or participate in senior activities including graduation.
Students with excessive absences will be referred to the Pupil Services and Attendance Counselor (PSA) for further intervention which may include a referral to the school site Student Attendance Review Team (SART), the School Attendance Review Board (SARB) and Juvenile Court.
For more information contact:
Magnet Office: Ms. Damaris Quintanilla, Senior Office Tech (818) 778-6023 firstname.lastname@example.org
Residential Office: Ms. Maria "Arlene" Nario, Senior Office Tech (818) 778-6802 email@example.com
Ms. Cindy Bernal, COUNSELOR, STUDENT HEALTH PUPIL SERVICES & ATTENDANCE
Ms. Anabel Bonney, Assistant Principal